[Foundation-l] Reconsidering the policy "one language - one Wikipedia"

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 12:34:08 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
> The difference was that Wikipedia was not made for young people.
>
> If I run a social group for adults and there are issues with children
> who visit, I can blame it on their parents and say they should control
> them better. If I run a social group for children, I'm now a childcare
> provider and have a greater degree of responsibility.

It is not [just] about blaming each other. It is about underestimating
child capacities and playing with their trust.

Child is perfectly able to recognize what is "for adults" and what is
"for children": everything not marked ("marked" in various ways) as
"for children" is for adults. And they are able to treat differently
those two types of phenomena. "For adults" is not safe, while "for
children" is safe. Depending on circumstances, "for children"
phenomena could be also boring to them, but safe.

And if we want to make a project in which children will trust as safe,
we have much higher responsibility than we have for creating any other
project not marked as a "project for children".