[Foundation-l] ASCAP comes out against "copyleft"

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sat Jun 26 10:17:55 UTC 2010

In a message dated 6/26/2010 2:33:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk writes:

> When service providers are lobbying to promote copyleft they are doing
> so in order muddy the copyright waters. The amount of copyleft material
> in the music world is, with the exception of promotional material,
> almost zero. When service providers start promoting free licenses to
> legislators they are doing so in order to undermine copyright within the
> online world. >>

{fact}
When I go to YouTube, the number of videos which are some bad amateur
singer trying to sing some good song far outweigh the number of original videos
of that song/group.  The amount of free content in music, in general is
rapidly approaching or perhaps past par with all professional music ever created
to this day.

It's the proliferation of the ability for any person in the world to make a
spontaneous video that has now completely swamped all previous video
content.

When people start rapibly screaming that free licenses are just trying to
promote stealing, they just aren't getting it.
The *point* of free licensing is to promote sharing, which is mostly
personal content, regardless of what some music lobbying group is trying to
make-up.
Video sex chat rooms create more video every single day, than RCA ever
created in a week.
And that's going to accelerate.  Same thing with music, same thing with
text.  The amount of free is many times the amount of unfree.