[Foundation-l] Heads up - doing some banner testing

Philippe Beaudette pbeaudette at wikimedia.org
Fri Jun 25 20:54:20 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

Just wanted to send you a heads up that we're going to be doing a
little bit of banner testing for a very brief period on the English
Wikipedia sometime soon.  For about a 24 hour period, there will be
banners appearing to a small segment of users that direct users to a
couple of different sets of questions for a very quick informal survey.

This is primarily a test of the medium; it's not a message test.
We're trying learn something about people who click on our banners and/
or answer the questionnaire, not specifically testing the message that
gets them there.

Our hope is that this will be minimally intrusive, since it will only
run for one day.  The idea is to maximize the targeting of the usage
of this tool.

The questions on the survey will be in a few broad buckets.  We're
asking about:
- readership (how often?)
- editing frequency (for logged in users only)
- Foundation knowledge (did you know it's a non-profit?  what do you
think the primary income source is?)
- Very basic demographics (age, sex).

We will most likely be doing more testing in the future, but for now
these are the base questions.  We know it's not a scientific polling
or sampling, but the goal is to extrapolate some data from what we
find out here.

pb

Philippe Beaudette
Head of Reader Relations
Wikimedia Foundation

philippe at wikimedia.org

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share in
the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!