[Foundation-l] Wikisource and reCAPTCHA

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 14:37:27 UTC 2010

I love those proofreading features, and the new default layout for a
book's pages and TOC.  Wikisource is becoming AWESOME.

Do we have PGDP contributors who can weigh on on how similar the
processes are?  Is there a way for us to actually merge workflows with
them?

Prof. Greg Crane of The Perseus Project @ Tufts is looking to upload a
few score classical manuscripts, and perhaps eventually their whole
corpus, into Wikisource -- but they want better multilingual
proofreading and annotation tools (which they are also considering
developing.  Hear, hear!)  All of this work needs a bit more
visibility.

SJ

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Michael Peel <email at mikepeel.net> wrote:
> (Renaming the subject as we've changed topic)
>
> On 23 Jun 2010, at 21:31, Mariano Cecowski wrote:
>
>> --- El mié 23-jun-10, Michael Peel <email at mikepeel.net> escribió:
>>
>>> I always think than not using reCaptcha is a shame, as it's
>>> a nice way to get people to proofread text in a reasonably
>>> efficient way. It would be really nice if someone could
>>> create something similar that proofreads OCR'd text from
>>> Wikisource... <hint, hint>.
>>
>> And how do you decide that what was entered is wrong or right?
>>
>> Better take a look at Project Gutemberg's Distributed Proofreaders[1].
>>
>> Cheers,
>> MarianoC.-
>>
>> [1] http://pgdp.net
>
> My understanding is that original text within the reCAPTCHA is shown to several different people; if they agree then the word is counted as correct. Looking at the Wikipedia article, it's a little more complex than that:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCAPTCHA
> There's a reason why there are two words to solve during a reCAPTCHA.
>
> What Distributed Proofreaders can do, Wikisource can do - but in a Wiki environment. If you haven't checked out the proofreading features that Wikisource now has, I would encourage you to give them a go, e.g. at:
> http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Frederic_Shoberl_-_Persia.djvu/92
>
> Mike

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj