[Foundation-l] encouraging women's participation

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 14:53:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing we can do would be to make contributors' names more visible.
> Translators for WMF stuff too (Ting Chen made a good point about the
> latter in Alexandria). Many websites gives clear credits to
> contributors - not only for-profit media, but websites whose content
> is mainly written by volunteers, like Global Online. In TED related
> translations, their translators' names are on the same webpage of
> video or transcript,   and much visible than in MediaWiki history
> pages.

I think that would be a great idea, although it does have some nuts
and bolts - some way or another, one will have to filter out those who
did just minor edits, for example, or people who do not want their
edits to be named. Then again, the strength of our system is that our
system doesn't need to be perfect, if it's community-editable things
will probably work out quite reasonable. I myself would be much in
favor of it, and if I did not fear the "that's not how we do things"
and "that's unwiki" crowd, I might even have considered doing a test
with it.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com