[Foundation-l] English language dominationism is striking again

Tisza Gergo gtisza at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 14:17:55 UTC 2010

Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at ...> writes:

> Basically, this will (on the search page only!) look at the last query
> run (the one currently in the edit box), check several language
> editions of Wikipedia for articles from the individual words (in this
> case, "Pferd" and "Schach"), count how many exist, pick the language
> with the most hits (in this case, German), and put a link to link to
> Nikola's tool under the search box. The link pre-fills the source
> language and query in the tool, which automatically opens the
> appropriate search page.

Again, I would suggest using Google (or an alternative with open data, if one
exists) instead of trying to reinvent the wheel:

http://translate.google.com/#auto|en|Pferd%20Schach
http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlanguage/documentation/#Detect

It might support less languages then we have wikipedias for, but I'm pretty sure
it would give better results for the major ones.