[Foundation-l] English language dominationism is striking again

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 13:21:19 UTC 2010

Hoi,
When you think that Commons is bad in supporting other languages, try to
find pictures of a horse on the internet in other languages like Estonian,
Nepalese ... It is not the same at all as when you are looking for images in
English. Commons has the advantage that many Wikipedias refer to a category
where pictures of for instance a horse can be found.

There has been a demonstration project that demonstrated that it is possible
to associate a concept in a translation dictionary with the names of
categories in Commons. It was demonstrated that not only is it possible, it
is also possible to change the text of the category and show a word in the
language selected by the user.

At OmegaWiki.org we have the ability to bring translations and Commons
categories together.. We do that for quite some time now.

Given that such support is thought to be difficult and expensive. What can
be done to improve the support for both information and articles, is to have
"referral" pages on Wikipedias. They are pages that do not have much more
then a definition of the concept and refer to Wikipedias that do have an
article on a subject. When a link is available to a Commons category, it is
possible to refer to Commons as well.

This does not require much investment and it will make the Wikipedias with
few articles more useful. It will grow our traffic and when we learn what
"referral" articles are in demand, we know what articles will make a
difference when they have a genuine article.
Thanks,
        GerardM