[Foundation-l] encouraging women's participation

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 02:41:00 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> You are missing the point again :) I am not talking about transforming
> user pages into MySpace pages, but about new layer at all Wikimedia
> projects, which would stay at the place of Special:Preferences. So, it
> is about personal space, which rudimentary exists inside of watchlist
> and similar. It is also about customization. For example, as a
> registered user, I want to have customized Main Page for myself. Also,
> those who don't want to use that, they should be able not to use.

I do get your point, Milos.  I tend to ramble, so perhaps you aren't getting
mine :)

I would like to keep anything like this off of WMF projects.  That does not
discount the notion that these social ideas are not beneficial.  What I am
saying is that facebook is now working with Wikipedia content, so keep it
there.  They already have the society and software to keep up with the ideas
that have been floated in this thread.  We can always improve how we deal
with inter/intra relations, but I don't think that these ideas are solution
to the problems outlined.

There are other methods of utilizing social network websites for our benefit
in garnering new editors, retaining old ones, and interesting potentials.  I
don't think that these implementations to MediaWiki will be the solution to
that.  Other means are far more fruitful, I think, and keeping our processes
how they are do promote stability which promotes interest.  People, as a
whole, don't like change.

Thanks for finding that TED link :)

--
~Keegan