[Foundation-l] encouraging women's participation

Sydney Poore sydney.poore at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 22:56:11 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Noein <pronoein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wikipedia should be kept a neutral repository of knowledge, not a social
> ground for games. Once you take the path of creating a futile community,
> there is no way to talk about the long term goals of the WMF, the
> vision, the ethics, the humanity, the knowledge. You just have people
> who are here to have fun and to socialize. It would add noise, not signal.
>

> Moreover, I think attracting readers is very different from attracting
> editors. I don't see how it would be positive to convince people to edit
> articles with superficial reasons in mind.

My main point is that we could be more fun and accomplish our work better
because we would have more hands doing the work. I don't see doing hard work
and fun as being mutually exclusive.

> However external sites could use the content for games or comments (like
> Facebook does). This way, the site originating the "fun attitude" would
> be distinct from the site about knowledge. Wikipedia would get attention
> without being invaded.

Yes, integrating with social networking sites and perhaps other real world
venues would be a good way to add a social side to WMF.

Sydney Poore