[Foundation-l] Encouraging participation

Pavlo Shevelo pavlo.shevelo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 13:57:29 UTC 2010

I would support Gerard's point that Wikipedia needs to have strong
community (social network in modern buzzwords) as all such projects
are results of well coordinated effort of community (with work
differentiation etc.) but not of chaotic crowd/horde  of individuals.

Common goal and work means community, doesn't it?
What is more important - community or communication is chicken-egg
dilemma obviously.

So regarding
>> Wikipedia is not a ... social networking
>> site, it is not a file/picture/video hosting service, it is an online
>> encyclopedia.

I think that Wikipedia is same time online encyclopedia (in it front
pages so to say) _and_ social networking site (to maintain project
community ecosystem) _and_ hosting service (to provide multimedia for
articles) in it back-office.

Regarding MMORG situation is much different because of strong negative
side effect(s) of this metaphor/attitude being used for Wikipedia.

Sincerely,

Pavlo