[Foundation-l] encouraging women's participation

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Fri Jun 18 17:20:07 UTC 2010

Gregory,
I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your post, but it sounded very much like
you were saying that encyclopedia writing is a skill that is too
academic for women:
"...general approaches which make Wikipedia more palatable to "average
people"... may have a greater impact at reducing gender imbalance than
female centric improvements... Though are limits to the amount of
main-streaming you can do of an academic activity such as encyclopaedia
writing."

Perhaps you were not meaning to imply that women are too "average" to be
interested in academic activities. I'm glad to hear that isn't the case,
but I would encourage you to be more careful with your wording in the
future. There is a long history of scientific apologetics being used to
perpetuate sexism, racism, etc. Just look at the "science" of
phrenology, or more recently "The Bell Curve". Anyway, I don't want to
drag this thread into a debate on scientific -isms. I just wanted to
remind everyone that there are real steps that can be taken to address
the gender imbalance problem, regardless of any real or perceived gender
differences.

Ryan Kaldari