[Foundation-l] Wikipedia trade mark misuse

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 22:46:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Dog" isn't strongly associated in the public psyche with a particular
> brand. "Wiki" is. Like I say, these are complicated issues of legal
> interpretation and really should be left to the lawyers.

What's relevant is that the WMF doesn't regard "wiki" as a protected
mark. There are zillions of wikis out there, and whether they are
actually massively editable (and in my experience, most of them
actually are not) is irrelevant to the question of trademarks and the
WMF. You don't need to be a lawyer to figure that out.

Nathan