[Foundation-l] Cultural awareness and sensitivity

Pavlo Shevelo pavlo.shevelo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 01:03:03 UTC 2010

Hello Delphine,

Talking about 'cultural awareness and sensitivity' would you let me
propose some minor case study?

> reaction to what to me was actually a rather funny comment. However,
> Mariano's following reaction as well as Yaroslav's came across to me
> as unecessarily aggressive and actually shocked me in what I perceived
> as a lack of consideration and altogether rather nasty answers.
> Strange.

It was very strange for me to read that Yaroslav (while I know only
one Yaroslav here on the list - it's Yaroslav Blanter) was... OMG...
"unecessarily aggressive".
Moreover I was 'actually shocked' as to my experience Yaroslav is not
too kind or better to say warm in tone sometimes (!), but I never saw
him "unecessarily aggressive". So I spent some slice of night (it's
3:30AM here in Kyiv now) to run some investigation.
As to the best of my understanding (and if I'm not mistaken) that was
another person (should I point exactly?) which has not much in common
with Yaroslav: he is from Russia as well and he is admin in ru:WP
also.

It was that another person who spoked about "lynching", 0.55% and
was... yes, "unecessarily aggressive" toward Michael, while I was
unable to discover Yaroslav' participation in that thread.

While I'm not from Russia (perhaps because of that my perception of
word "lynching" is almost exactly as Michael's), I could treat this
small ...incident in several different ways and most of them will not
make me happy, some could make me angry.
Obviously my main explanation that it was just mistake :) 'cause
'somebody' was too much in hurry and didn't check the name.

Sincerely,

Pavlo Shevelo