[Foundation-l] Collapsed galleries for particularly explicit images

Excirial wp.excirial at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 16:54:25 UTC 2010

This has been discussed many times on many occasions. See the extensive
archives of depictions of
muhammed<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Depictions_of_Muhammad>and
the long discussion regarding the images on the
goatse.sx<hhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Files_for_deletion/2010_March_29#File:Goatse.fr_homepage.png>page.
In general the current consensus seems to be against collapsing
image's by default.

Also, these arguments that seem to be used often in this type of discussion:

*Against collapsing:
*1) Wikipedia is not censored. This means that one should expect explicit
images if man navigates to an explicit topic.
2) Not all browsers handle collapsed images correctly, meaning that they may
show regardless, or that they could not be un-collapsed. (Not sure if this
one still applies)
3) Collapsing would be an indication that we deem some content graphic. In
this case we cast a judgment on content, which might lead to a particular
bias. Often this type of argument points out that images of muhammed are not
considered offensive in most parts of the western world, while they are
considered to be offensive elsewhere. Or, to paraphrase a comment i once
read: "If you suffer from
Coulrophobia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_clowns>,
would that mean that our article on it should not contain a related image as
it would be offensive to you?",
4) "Freedom of speech"

*In favor of collapsing:
*1) Explicit content could be hidden on default, which would make a page
readable if man would find graphical content offensive, while allowing
images to be viewed if man wishes to see it.
2) Except for blocking images in a browser, there is no method to filter
possibly explicit content, meaning that a collapse box could be a safety
net.
3) "It is offensive"

As far as i am aware we do not differentiate between different categories of
explicit, due to the danger of casting biased judgments. In general the
inclusion criteria is that the image must be related to the article, and
that it has added value. And of course the image has to be legal within the
USA as well. Do note that this is an incomplete list, and as a disclaimer i
would add that i tend to be against collapsing. I tried to be as objective
as possible while creating this list, but it could possibly be biased
nonetheless, so take care before assuming this is everything ever said about
the topic.

~Excirial

*
*