[Foundation-l] Announcement - Public Policy Initiative Team joins WMF

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 07:41:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru>wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 11:09:42 -0700, Daniel Phelps <dphelps at wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
> > The Wikimedia Foundation has hired four new staff members to guide the
> new
> > Public Policy Initiative. Annie Lin, LiAnna Davis, Sage Ross, and Amy
> Roth
> > will work with public policy programs at universities across the United
> > States to incorporate improvements to Wikipedia articles into the
> > professors' curriculum. The Public Policy Initiative will recruit
> Wikipedia
>
> Why is the team chosen to target specifically the US? I am not sure I am
> comfortable with this choice.
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

This is a pilot program for extending the educational purpose of the WMF.
 Not speaking for the staff, but I assume a primary reason is that is funded
by a grant that will require travel for a lot of the staff for the program,
so there's a money issue.  Shuttling people across the country for a year
and putting them up is pricey, doubly so world wide.  The program, as
mentioned, is a pilot and if successful in this it can be ported worldwide.
 The WMF will be tracking this effort and will scale for future development.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan