[Foundation-l] Cultural awareness and sensitivity

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Tue Jun 8 07:30:52 UTC 2010

Dear Michael,

on one side, thank you for bringing this up - I had for example no idea of
this interpretation, and couldn't even have imagined it probably.

On a more general note, how do you think this problem could be approached? I
assume that you can understand that someone uses a word in a different
meaning than the one you brought up, and this is something that is happening
all the time of course - I have experienced it several times. Translating or
writing in a non-native language can be a tricky thing (For example, calling
someone "black" would be considered highly offensive in the Netherlands,
where negroid is apparently offensive in the US), but even within one
language there can be different interpretations. Do you see a way that
people can consider this? Do you see here a task for the writer, or rather a
message for the reader of messages that there might be another meaning in it
than the offensive one you might read at first?

About the underrepresentation - yes, almost every single group is
underrepresented besides the 1) white, middle aged single men, 2)
pubers&adolescent boys, 3) people with all kinds of disorders. Women, black
people, lower educated people, inuit, seniors, children<10y and many other
groups are underrepresented for even more different reasons. My
understanding has never been that this is because there are
misinterpretations of what people say - rather the harshness with which we
discuss sometimes, especially when newbees do something "wrong", seems to
scare people away. Rather the complicated community structure, the huge
amounts of regulations etc - although I'm confident that the strategy team
has done more research into this and can come up with more solid data and
causes.

So although I do agree that we should be careful with cultural differences,
I do not think that we can avoid possible "lynching"-issues (as in, how the
word is used) because we can't expect everybody to be have a major in
English. I think it is rather likely that these offenses are actually more
often the other way around, where non-natives consider something as
offensive, but will not speak up about it. Not so much because Americans or
Brits are so harsh (well, some are) but because of the numbers - there are
numerous more cultures compared to the few that have English as a native
tongue.

Lodewijk