[Foundation-l] Cultural awareness and sensitivity

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 05:05:01 UTC 2010

Michael Snow wrote:
> To avoid further disrupting discussion of interlanguage links and
> usability, I'll address the cultural problems separately now. I must
> admit, though, that in a discussion where we seemed to have agreed
> (rightfully so) that a 1% click rate was significant enough to warrant
> serious consideration, I was disappointed that someone could then be so
> callous about the need for cultural sensitivity because it most directly
> impacts "only 0.55% of the world population" in this case. There is no
> meaningful difference in order of magnitude there.

While the part of your message I callously cut off below, was
very good and valuable, coming from a chairman of the Board
of Trustees of the Foundation, the above paragraph really does
merit taking into task of.

Considering that I really thought you were a person who edited
regularly, I genuinely thought you couldn't be blinded by stats.

Apparently not so.

Click through is almost irrelevant in this particular instance,
and anyone who regularly actually uses interwikis, would tell
you so.

_We *glance* at the intewiki sidebar, and evaluate things on
that basis, many times a day, without ever clicking._ When
the bar is collapsed, and we seek an infobox, or more otherwise
formatted generic information on a particular subject, and
we click to see if it is available on a different language (personally
I do so very often with regard to French films), we feel like fools
"haha, made you look".

I'll keep coming back to the institutional issues that have been
laid so bare here, until they are fixed. Sorry.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen