[Foundation-l] Upcoming default UI change of Wikipedia in nine languages

Naoko Komura nkomura at wikimedia.org
Tue Jun 8 03:04:22 UTC 2010

Hello!

As a part of global roll-out of the new user interface to Wikipedia and
Wikimedia Projects[1][2], the user experience team is working with
translators and the user experience ambassadors to prepare for rolling
out the new default user interface to nine languages of Wikipedia,
Japanese, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Russian, Polish, Portuguese,
and Dutch. [3]

As Cary mentioned in his email on June 2nd, translators and ambassadors
are making great progress in translating and spreading the news via
appropriate channel.[4]  Argentina Chapter released the press release
today. [5]

Volunteers of graphic work have been contributing amazing work in
localizing the new logo.[6]  The new logo for the nine languages will be
also released at the same time of the user interface updates.

Thanks to the effort of everyone involved, we are confident that we can
conduct the deployment later this week.

The scheduled time and the date is:

5:30am UTC, Thursday, June 10

This is a targeted schedule and the deployment can take up two to three
hours, so you won't see the change until a few hours later.  Software
release to high-traffic site like Wikipedia(s) require cautions and
technical operations folks will monitor the site performance closely.
So there is always a possibility that releases may be re-scheduled at
the last minute.  But so far the schedule looks attainable.  We will
keep you posted if the schedule is adjusted later in the week.

Cheers,

Naoko Komura
Head of User Experience Programs, Wikimedia Foundation

[1]
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2010/wikimedia-gets-ready-for-some-big-changes/
[2] http://blog.wikimedia.org/2010/a-new-look-for-wikipedia/
[3]