[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 04:03:21 UTC 2010

Michael Snow wrote:

> Similarly, we know that the community population skews young and male.
> That has important consequences, and some of those unfortunately
> reinforce our lack of diversity. It's been pointed out what a
> male-centric approach we sometimes have, in the enthusiasm and manner
> with which certain subjects are covered, and the oblivious attitude
> toward potential offensiveness of various images. This comes across to
> all too many women as a hostile culture. Most large online communities
> do not have the kind of gender imbalance we have. This is a serious
> issue we need to address. The foundation could do targeted outreach
> forever to recruit underrepresented groups (whether it's ethnicity, age,
> gender, or other factors), and it would accomplish very little without
> significant improvements in our culture.

Well, yes and no.

Historically the first time the offensiveness of images
on wikipedia first came to a head (so to speak), was
the images on [[Clitoris]]. At least in that instance the
contributors who feigned the images as being offensive
to viewers -- while in many cases claiming *they* personally
weren't at all offended (!!) -- were predominantly male. My
recollection was/is that the defenders of a photographic
image on that page, instead of a schematic drawing, were
mostly female.

I don't deny the general point about the testosterone-laden
atmosphere in some areas of our community, but I do want
to note that even in the latest controversy over images, the
person on the Board of Trustees who came strongest in
defense of a unfettered retention of sensual images of
educational value was its (single?) female member. It
would be a serious mistake to claim that she was doing
so only to "fit in" with the lads.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen