[Foundation-l] Communication

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Sun Jun 6 16:25:22 UTC 2010

James Heilman wrote:
> I think most of us contribute as we feel that this is our encyclopedia.
> This is especially true for those not being paid but I am sure it also
> applies to those on staff as well.  An us versus them mentality does not add
> anything.  We are all here for one main purpose " to write the best
> encyclopedia we can ".

Some people are here to write a dictionary. Or free textbooks. Or...
whatever it is that Wikiversity has set out to do. These projects have been
largely overlooked by the Wikipedia Usability Initiative, for better or
worse. Though, in a discussion about communication between the community and
the Wikimedia Foundation, it is helpful to remember that there are a large
number of projects other than Wikipedia, something that the Wikimedia
Foundation itself often (intentionally) overlooks.

I do agree with your larger point that an "us vs. them" mentality serves no
one. The Wikimedia Foundation exists to serve the projects. That point needs
to be made explicit in everything it does. If there's ever doubt on that
point, something isn't working as it should.

MZMcBride