[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 01:03:26 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, this.
>
> The list of available languages is a key part of a page, not a
> navigation nicety.
>
> They used to be available at the top of an article by default, until
> that started taking up a few inches of screen space across the board.
> We could still use a small bit of text reading  "also in N other
> languages" that is similarly prominent: above-the-fold, near the top
> of the page.
>
> SJ

I'm lost in this sea of emails.

Is anybody arguing that showing interwikis expanded by default is hurtful?

I  understand that one dev said roughly: "revert, this was designed so
and any change must be authorized by howie"
and that (Sue?) said :  "we had a meeting and decided that hiding the
interwikis wasn't really bad".

And sprinkled over there I read a couple "we hid them since they were
cluttering".

Now what is the argument about *that specific "clutter"* is bad?

Who else besides UX opinion and staff supporting UX has an argument
about showing interwikis being hurtful so much that the problems
overshadow the benefits of showing them?