[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a BadIdea, part 2

Austin Hair adhair at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 19:15:57 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 8:03 PM,  <susanpgardner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Austin, think about who "everyone" is.  The folks here on foundation-l are not representative of readers.  The job of the user experience team is to try to balance all readers' needs, which is not easy, and will sometimes involve making decisions that not everyone agrees with. People here have given some useful input, but I think it's far from obvious that the user experience team has made a "mistake.". (I'm not really intending to weigh in on this particular issue -- I'm speaking generally.)

Regarding calling it a mistake, I'm making this judgment based not on
my personal opinion—which is by now abundantly clear—but on the
scientific basis that forming a conclusion without data makes for a
bad conclusion.

It's true that I wouldn't bother to weigh in on the process if I
agreed with the outcome.  I think that's true for most of us.  But
since I'm bothering anyway, I may as well say that the process is
flawed, and the decision doesn't logically follow the facts—since we
haven't measured (scientific jargon, here) the facts in the first
place.

Austin