[Foundation-l] Texts deleted on French Wikisource

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Thu Jun 3 20:42:27 UTC 2010

If you want to challenge a takedown notice, the proper (and only) course
of action is to file a counter-notice. I had work that I did on Commons
taken down by a bogus DMCA takedown notice several years ago. Instead of
complaining to the Foundation, which would have been pointless (as they
are bound by the DMCA to comply with even the most bogus takedown
notices), I mailed them a counter-notice and the work was restored in
short order.

There are several handy online guides for how to file DMCA
counter-notices. It is very easy and doesn't require hiring a lawyer.
The only catch is that by filing the counter-notice you are putting your
money where your mouth is and legally asserting that you have the right
to post the work (so make sure that this is correct or you may end up in
a lawsuit).

The current situation is completely different than the NPG situation,
which involved only bogus threats, not a legally binding takedown notice.

Ryan Kaldari