[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 18:02:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Austin Hair <adhair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Last night I was discussing this with Finne (henna), and she proposed
> that we might show a default list based on the user's most likely
> language(s), while still keeping the others collapsed by default.
>
> This could be done using the HTTP accept-language header—which would,
> at the very least, show you your native language.  (And perhaps, if
> someone's feeling adventurous, augment that using a GeoIP system.
> There are lots of possibilities.)

This is a good idea.  It could be easily done in JavaScript without
affecting cacheability, at least if you just use language info
available to JS.  (The collapsing is only done using JS to begin
with.)  But the content language in the browser is often unreliable,
I've been told, so it's not a complete solution.  Geolocation would be
more reliable -- especially if we can pick the most likely few
languages to display -- but much harder to implement properly.