[Foundation-l] Texts deleted on French Wikisource

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 15:45:06 UTC 2010

On 3 June 2010 16:14, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you can link in your notifications to a handy guide to contesting a
> DMCA takedown notice, that would probably answer the concerns in this
> thread. It's clear that people weren't sure if they could re-add
> things at all, ever, after a takedown notice, without express WMF
> permission. It's clear to you, but not to the non-lawyers who
> nevertheless know what a bogus claim copyright is. (And I know the WMF
> isn't their lawyer, but I'm sure high-quality guides to contesting
> takedown notices exist.)

I understand it's possible WMF could be liable even for *alluding* to
how to deal with these things in the notice. Because the DMCA is that
messed up.

So: the community needs to:

1. Put a suitable guide to dealing with DMCA takedown notices on meta.
(Festoon with disclaimers.)
2. Link it from each occasion the community is notified of a takedown
notice having been received.

This will expressly not carry the Foundation's imprimatur in any way,
but it will help the present problem.

Does that sound like it would deal with the problems? Yann?

- d.