[Foundation-l] Office action

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Thu Jun 3 00:08:07 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic at gmail.com>
To: foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org
Sent: Wed, Jun 2, 2010 4:54 pm
Subject: [Foundation-l]  Office action

>> It is a shame that WMF hasn't a policy of TRANSPARENCY regarding
>> office actions. The right of the community to get all information
>> cannot be overruled by Mr. Godwin's personal opinions about secret
>> things.
>>

>In the world outside this mailing list, the fact that I'm responding to this
>extent to these criticisms would itself be taken as proof of transparency,
>not disproof.

Well yes, but after the fact.  If I'm reading the criticism correctly the point being made is that within the process
there might be some room for *including* the community in these actions, or at the very least replacing the deleted pages
with an explanation of what occurred and how to *fix* it.  We've seen that here, you helpfully described what a person
should do if they object to the deletion.  But is that information on the deleted pages themselves?

What harm do you foresee in replacing deleted pages with a declaration like YouTube uses, "This Video has been deleted
based on a copyright claim by The Disney Corporation" ?  And then an extension of "If you believe this is public domain material
then restore the page and include this disclaimer blah blah blah"