[Foundation-l] Communication

Noein pronoein at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 23:23:38 UTC 2010

I've been watching the dialogues between the WMF and this mailing list
for a while now and most of the conflicts are the same: bad
communication. This is apparently not due to individuals but institutional.

 I'm still ignorant of many aspects of the internal mechanisms and
interactions of the WMF, its projects, chapters, communities, sites,
tools, pages, agendas and mailing lists and to be honest I think it's a
maze.
One has to invest months, maybe years of investigation to really know
where he should be communicating, searching or waiting for certain kind
of information. Maybe these very considerations should be put instead on
the meta, on the strategic, on the village pump, on another mailing
list, or on several lists, or directed to the WMF, globally or to
certain dedicated persons only?

So let me ask some genuinely ignorant questions:
- - are there somewhere an organizational map and schematics of the
overall components of the Wikimedia institutions, projects, foundations,
chapters and communities, their governance, roles, duties and
interactions, synthesized in one main page instead of dozens, each one
in a different part?
- - is there one main page instead of dozens for announcements and news,
with a RSS feed system, with selectable categories to choose what kind
of information one wants to follow ?
- - why, simply, the activity of the WMF is not published each day or
week? For example why the Gallimard letter and negociations were not
made public? why the confidentiality instead of a transparency policy?
why the causes, debates and decisions of Jimmy and the board in the
recent censorship controversy were not published in time? I sincerely
don't understand.
- - how a newbie could understand the current activities and projects?
where to start? who to contact?
- - in case of emergency like the Fox News attack, is there a plan?
protocols? a priority channel? plannified meetings and groups of
reflexion/discussion? plannified ways of updating the situation, of
sharing official declarations and resources?
- - are there ways to delegate, federate, synthesize, communicate opinions
and information between each community, chapter, board members?

I don't mean to force a type of governance or another, but simply to
organize the information so it's easier for everybody to know what's
happening.

Everything seems so fuzzy and chaotic currently. It seems that it all
depends of the charism of hyperactive community members and the good
will of board trustees. Please enlighten me.