No subject

Tue Jul 6 00:35:29 UTC 2010

"The purpose of this report is to address how and why the Mozilla
Foundation is successful at organizing large-scale participation in
the development of its software. What motivates Mozilla to solicit the
expertise of anyone who wishes to provide her time and knowledge to
the Mozilla enterprise? What motivates volunteers to participate? ....
Mozilla=92s success at engendering part-time, volunteer participation
that produces successful marketplace innovation suggests strategies
for how to
organize civic participation in communities and government.
Specifically, the Mozilla approach might demonstrate how to galvanize
participation by those in the technical community. More generally,
Mozilla=92s open source model may have something to teach us about how
to create successful participatory democracy."

I haven't read it all yet (it's quite short, less than 100 pages) but
it looks very interesting.

pdf here:
http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/full_pdfs/Peer_Participation_and_Software.pdf

-- phoebe