[Foundation-l] Free translation memory

Jimmy O'Regan joregan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 19:21:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 13:49:21 +0300, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:

> 2010/7/29 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
>> <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>>>
>>> ... Thinking out loud / replying to myself - translatewiki.net comes
>>> very close, but people are used to think about it as a tool for
>>> translating software messages and not for translating general texts.
>>> Maybe it can be adopted to that.
>>
>> Apertium: http://www.apertium.org/
>
> I know that Apertium is a Free translation engine originally centered
> around Catalan and Spanish and later enhanced to other languages.

Correct, though our range of languages is a lot larger and more diverse :)

FWIW, one of our most heavily-used language pairs is Norwegian Nynorsk-
Bokmål, and a large portion of that use is by Wikipedia contributors.

> tried to look for a translation memory storage service at its website
> and didn't find anything. So, unless i am missing something, this
> project is probably using translation memory internally, but i can't
> find a way to upload my pairs of translated texts there.

Correct. We don't currently provide a way to add your own translation
memory via the website -- the feature is available if you install the
software locally (apt-get install apertium on Debian and Ubuntu), or via
Tradubi (http://www.tradubi.com). A GSoC student is working on a web-
based post-editing environment, so the feature may become available from
the Apertium site in the future.

For the moment, if you want a web-based environment, with the ability to
add and create your own translation memory, use Tradubi.

> (Having studied Catalan pretty well, i really should take a better look
> at Apertium in any case.)

All contributions welcome :)