[Foundation-l] Why should Wikimedians meet?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 15:34:59 UTC 2010

On 31 July 2010 16:27, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 July 2010 16:21, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>
>> But all of the above are nice dreams about the future. Is there any
>> proven experience from the past that demonstrates why personal
>> meetings between Wikimedians are not just fun for them, but actually
>> beneficial to the Wikimedia community, the Internet, the Humanity? Can
>> anyone here give me solid examples of successful projects that were
>> born thanks to past Wikimanias?
>

> Most of the chapters.

Are you sure? Don't chapters come out of local meetups more than
Wikimanias? Three chapters pre-date the first Wikimania and one was
founded a week after (so I don't think Wikimania can take credit for
that). Can you give some examples of chapters you know were founded as
a result of a Wikimania? I can imagine some people being inspired to
form chapters after meeting people from other chapters, but I don't
know any definite examples of it actually happening.