[Foundation-l] Why should Wikimedians meet?

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Sat Jul 31 15:32:20 UTC 2010

2010/7/31 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> On 31 July 2010 16:21, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>
>> But all of the above are nice dreams about the future. Is there any
>> proven experience from the past that demonstrates why personal
>> meetings between Wikimedians are not just fun for them, but actually
>> beneficial to the Wikimedia community, the Internet, the Humanity? Can
>> anyone here give me solid examples of successful projects that were
>> born thanks to past Wikimanias?
>
> Most of the chapters.

OK, but how exactly? Why did people have to fly to another continent
to start a chapter in their own country? Did they use Wikimania as an
opportunity to talk to the people who started the pioneering chapters
(Germany, France, Italy) and learned from them how to start them?
Anything else?

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni