[Foundation-l] Free translation memory

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Fri Jul 30 10:49:21 UTC 2010

2010/7/29 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
> <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>> 2010/7/29 Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il>:
>>> Is there a Free competitor to the Google Translator Toolkit in terms
>>> of online storage and sharing? I heard about OmegaT, but if i
>>> understand correctly, it is a local application that doesn't offer
>>> online storage and sharing - but correct me if i'm wrong. Are there
>>> any other Free-minded translation memory services?
>>
>> ... Thinking out loud / replying to myself - translatewiki.net comes
>> very close, but people are used to think about it as a tool for
>> translating software messages and not for translating general texts.
>> Maybe it can be adopted to that.
>
> Apertium: http://www.apertium.org/

I know that Apertium is a Free translation engine originally centered
around Catalan and Spanish and later enhanced to other languages. I
tried to look for a translation memory storage service at its website
and didn't find anything. So, unless i am missing something, this
project is probably using translation memory internally, but i can't
find a way to upload my pairs of translated texts there.

(Having studied Catalan pretty well, i really should take a better
look at Apertium in any case.)

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni