[Foundation-l] Push translation

Muhammad Yahia shipmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 07:56:39 UTC 2010

My 2c :

   - I dont know where everyone came up with the notion that the tool
   produces good results. Most of the articles on both Google's projects on the
   Arabic wikipedia are barely intelligible, with broken sentences, weird
   terminology and generally can be spotted right away (see my reply to the
   other thread).
   - Even if GTTK is improving, The idea of push contradicts with GTTK. Push
   means that someone with no knowledge of Arabic will 'push' the en.wp (or any
   other one) article to ar.wp. GTTK supposedly requires a translator that will
   revise and rephrase what the machine translation couldn't do.
   - NPOV falls victim to systemic bias, on en.wp or any other wiki. If not
   in the representation of difference in opinion, but in the arrangement of
   the article and the highlighting and order of different events. The wording
   of paragraphs also usually gravitates towards western way of neutral
   expression, which may be considered biased when read by someone where
   English is not his first language.
   - Let's suppose all the above didnt matter, and that GTTK works perfectly
   fine, let's suppose this idea is taken to the extreme, it would be: take
   largest x wikipedias, clone all articles to language x, wash, rinse, repeat.
   Where is the community? where is the involvement and exchange of ideas and
   continuous evolvement of articles? where's the wiki in wikipedia?
   - I see it as POV to assume that wiki x has the 'perfect' article on a
   certain subject such that everyone in the world needs to read that version
   only.

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia