[Foundation-l] Is Google translation is good for Wikipedias?

Shiju Alex shijualexonline at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 09:40:32 UTC 2010

> We welcome automation in translation, but not at the expense of
> introducing incorrect and messy content on wikipedia. We'd rather stay
> small and hand-craft than allow an experimental tool and unskilled
> paid translators creating a big mess.

Yes. This is the answer that you will get from most of the active  wiki
((small wikis) communities where this project is going on. Many of the small
wiki communities are not worried about the numbers as some big wikipedias
do. Quality is more important for small wikis when number of contributors
are less. *Many of us will use this quality matrix* itself to bring in more
people.

My real concern is about the rift that is happening in a language community
due to this project. Issues of a language wiki is taken outside wiki to
prove some points against its contributors.  Two types are communities are
evolving out of this project. *Google's Wiki community* and *Wiki's wiki
community*. :) This is really annoying as far as small wikis are concerned.

So, some sort of intervention is required to make sure this project run
smootly on different wiikipedias.

~Shiju