[Foundation-l] Push translation

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Wed Jul 28 05:38:35 UTC 2010

  Hello all,

I am a heavy translator on WikiMedia projects. I would say more than 95%
of my contributions on content is translation. But I am against a blind
translation. For example mostly I would translate british or north
american related content from en-wp to zh-wp, and not from other
languages. I would translate german or general european related articles
mostly from de-wp to zh-wp. French related articles I try to translate
from fr-wp to zh-wp, mostly I would make a test beforehand that the
language in the article is enough comprehensible for me, since my French
is by far not on the lever of my German or English. But I would never
translate a Japanese related article because I don't think quite trust
what the German or other english speaking people write about Japan. I
never translate a China related article because I am very sure that at
some point they have a not correct context. Even if there is no article
in zh-wp about that particular entity I would rather wait a zh-wp user
who has more understanding to start an article on it. (Or, ocasionally I
would do research myself and start an article from scrap.)

Natural science related articles are sort of universal, although reading
through different languages you can also find here tremendous
differences between different language versions. I used to select the
(in my subjective opinion) more better version (before 2006 more en-wp,
in the last two three years de-wp or en-wp about half half), or I would
combine both versions.

Backward, I would only translate China related article from zh-wp into
de-wp, because I think the deficiency in de-wp in this area is the
biggest. And some zh-wp articles, especially the excellent aritcles, are
really very well written and researched and source. I don't see any
sense to translate a German related article from zh-wp to de-wp.

Translation should never be blind. For example en-wp articles about
american towns and cities could get very detailed, down to
neighbourhoods. I mostly omit too detailed parts one because I would
start to do original research beginning to invent Chinese transcriptions
for the names and second I think they are not really interesting for a
Chinese user. You can also find all kinds of failures in the original
article, if you are doing a blind translation, in the best case the
failures remain in the original article, in the worst case you propagate
those failures into language versions that maybe have no resource to
check those facts. For example in the article I am currently working on
[[:en:Mumbai culture]] there was the failure that the city has three
World Heritage (actually there are only two on its territory). Most
failures are wrong links because of articles got moved or disambigged
and the links didn't got corrected. For example in the article mentioned
above in the section Cinema Multiplex was linked to
[[:en:Multiplexing]], the correct link should be [[:en:Multiplex (movie
theater)]]. Such errors are quite common.

Doing more careful and considered translation can help both language
versions, more than simply doing a translation.

Greetings
Ting