[Foundation-l] free software policies

Joe Corneli holtzermann17 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 22:09:29 UTC 2010

Hi SJ:

I've been thinking about your note.  Maybe "programmes" would
be a better word than "policies".  I hope here to put my note in a
pro-active frame.  In fact there are lots of things that we could do,
but here is where it would be nice to know more about who "we"
are!

You and I already discussed in person about how useful an education-l
mailing list would be for in-depth discussions related to education
oriented projects.  "We" are to a certain extent involved with
changing the way education works (for example).

> [1] Among other things, even apparently-internal toolsets are
> important to public access, as you say: chapters grow and come to need
> all the things that the Foundation does.

I might also mention that partnerships are likely to be significantly
important here (and this is what inspired my initial mail).  Suffice
to say, my own view as that the right programme would be to
make a constellation of completely free and open programs
around Wikipedia that enable users to do interesting and useful
things with the content.  I think we could easily establish some
objectives and milestones for the various projects that would
fulfill this programme.  We can then be fairly clear about what
the gaps or obstacles are.  I don't mean that everything should
happen in a top-down or even centralized way.  Rather, I would
hope that this conversation would happen in the Wiki Way :).