[Foundation-l] Discussion Questions for Potentially-Objectionable Content

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 19:50:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 9:43 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 July 2010 20:40, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  If photos of Tienanmen protests are
>> forbidden in China, we should remove them for population from China.
>
> I certainly hope you're saying this as an attempt at reductio ad absurdum.

No, but I haven't given the context. Here is the quote from my email
to Robert Harris:

"My position toward this issue has ideological background. Thus, I
don't pretend that it is the universal truth :)

I am not contributing to Wikimedia projects to enlighten anyone. I
don't want to force anyone to do something. If the will of the
majority of population is not to see documentation about birth
control, then it is not my problem. And, usually, it *is* the view of
majority of population wherever this problem exists. I am willing to
help to the minority and I completely support activists who are doing
that. But, Wikimedia projects are not activist projects in the narrow
sense. They are about gathering knowledge and giving it to the rest of
the world. And if majority view of some population is not to see some
part or all Wikimedia projects, I am fine with it.

And to give an example from my country: I am living in a deeply
corrupted country. OK, it is not likely that someone will go to the
jail because someone else accused that person falsely. But, it is very
hard to do anything in Serbia if a person is not well connected and if
they don't want to be corrupted. (The main reason of keeping Wikimedia
Serbia at low profile is, actually, this one. We don't want to be
corrupted and we are passing harder way.) But, it is not a matter of
Wikimedia Foundation to do anti-corruption activism in Serbia. It is a
matter of inhabitants of Serbia.

Doing information activism is sometimes stronger than doing legal
activism. Ignoring majority opinion in Texas [if it makes a law which
forbids educational material about sexuality] and showing to them
educational materials in sexuality is the same kind activism as
marking the roots of corruption in Serbia. While I am fully for that,
I don't think that it is a Wikimedia job.

But, as I said before, it is my ideological opinion and I am not
saying that it is a universal truth."