[Foundation-l] Discussion Questions for Potentially-Objectionable Content

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 16:05:31 UTC 2010

A child seeing such a page will ordinarily go instead to something
they understand.  Unless we're talking about teen-agers.
I see this as an excellent example of the slippery slope we would be
in if we did anything targeted at facilitating censorship, especially
considering the author of the book is a major writer. There are some
elements of these themes in some of his other work also. Do we label
them as well?

The only sustainable position is that readers can do what they want
with our content. If they can derive a filter for what hey want . (I
don't see how they can for a novel except by putting it specifically
on a blacklist)

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 July 2010 18:17, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> You're right, it is not just about images. If I set up a censored account for a small child, I should be able to set it up in such a way that they won't be able to see articles like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogg_(novel) or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_and_ball_torture_(sexual_practice)
>>
>> So, if the child clicks on a wikilink leading there, they would get a screen saying, "Sorry, >this page is only available to adult accounts."
>
> Child responds by logging out.
>

> --
> geni

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.