[Foundation-l] Discussion Questions for Potentially-Objectionable Content

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 17:09:51 UTC 2010

Milos, when I am talking about the possibility of a censored default for IP access, I am talking about the types of censorship Flickr and YouTube are using. They categorise their content on the basis of whether it is moderate or explicit adult content.

This has not resulted in Serbian YouTube users having to register an adult account to view videos critical of the Serbian Orthodox Church. ;)

But you're right in drawing attention to the potential problem of very small projects' decision-making process being subject to gaming.

Which categories to offer the projects for configuring IP access should remain the decision of the Foundation, in consultation with the wider Wikipedia community, rather than any small local project.

For example, I think most people in the wider community would be okay with the idea of Arabic Wikipedia being configured in such a way that its users will not be confronted with images of Mohammed unless they register an account and explicitly "opt in" to seeing them.

You also mention totalitarian countries. This is a whole other topic.

What is being proposed here is that any user would *always* be able to override the censored IP default mode, by registering an account and reconfiguring their preferences. The content *would always be there*, but people surfing to it would be told, as they are in YouTube and Flickr, that they need to register an account to view it.

A totalitarian regime would not be satisfied with that.

A.