[Foundation-l] Is Google translation is good for Wikipedias?

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 11:16:29 UTC 2010

Aphaia, any machine translation system that produces even remotely
comprehensible results should be able to be used in machine-aided
translation. It is reduced to low utility if the output is complete
gibberish, however this doesn't seem to be the case; regardless, it's
possible to turn off automatic translation and the system can be used
merely as a translation memory system, which would be useful in case
the automatic translation actually did produce gibberish. Still
useful, I think, because it automatically breaks text into segments
and is at least *intended* to preserve formatting (this seems to be an
issue for WP articles) without requiring users to re-type every single
wikilink.

-m.