[Foundation-l] Discussion Questions for Potentially-Objectionable Content

wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 25 09:54:05 UTC 2010

Andreas Kolbe wrote:
> to see its content.
>
> Yes, the devil is in the details, and in working out the correct
> parameters for default IP access. Each language version of any
> project could make its own determination in this regard. Arabic, no
> Mohammed images; India, no sex and kissing; Dutch and German, the
> full Monty with no censorship at all. Whatever.

 From what I recall Germany is a problem because certain imagery (porn,
violence) is NOT allowed unless you age verify. You cannot have bukkake
images unless you have age verified. That was the problem that flickr
had when they internationalized the site. The German law requires that
if such images are accessible by minors then the site MUST remove access
upon notification.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/BGH-eBay-kann-zur-Sperrung-jugendgefaehrdender-Angebote-verpflichtet-werden-150320.html

That probably means that for de.wikipedia all porn images need to be
deleted, and that might even stretch into commons too. That was flickr's
interpretation of the law which is why they made yahoo.de accounts
restricted to viewing moderate images only.