[Foundation-l] Discussion Questions for Potentially-Objectionable Content

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 18:12:33 UTC 2010

On 24 July 2010 18:39, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 July 2010 18:28, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> - That IPs are shown a mildly "censored" version, and that seeing the uncensored version of Wikipedia requires registering an account and setting the preferences up accordingly.

> And this is where it all breaks down. Once you start to offer a
> partially censored version as standard you are basically going to have
> to fight an eternal war until you give up and reacht he bottom of the
> slippery slope.

Yes. Unless it is actually agreed by consensus of the project
communities themselves, it will not fly. If it is imposed by the
Foundation, the community will, as has been discussed, get up and
*leave*. Saying "a fork will happen" is not a threat of forking, it's
a statement of what it's *utterly obvious* will happen in the case of
a top down imposition. I might be wrong in saying that, but I don't
think I am.

- d.