[Foundation-l] Discussion Questions for Potentially-Objectionable Content

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 23 19:42:22 UTC 2010

> From: Ting Chen <wing.philopp at gmx.de>
> What I find not convincing is the slogan "No censorship". I
> think this is a bad argument.

Actually, I wish we'd rename [[WP:NOTCENSORED]] in en:WP to something more sensible, for similar reasons. It is too often used as a justification for poor editorial decisions.

--"What? You are saying I can't have the goatse image in the goatse article? Wikipedia is not censored, you know!"

This is how we ended up with that image in the goatse article, losing all sight of the fact that no reliably published newspaper, computer magazine, book or encyclopedia out there in the real world would be very likely to consider it remotely appropriate to illustrate an article on that shock site with the shock image itself.

We have strong guidelines that our texts should reflect the most reliable sources, but no guideline that says that our approach to illustration should reflect the approaches used in the most reliable sources on the subject. Instead, we have [[WP:NOTCENSORED]] ...

Andreas
(Jayen466)