[Foundation-l] Private Wiki

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 13:48:35 UTC 2010

On 7/21/10 4:39 AM, Cary Bass wrote:
> On 7/20/2010 7:27 PM, James Heilman wrote:
>> Not sure were to ask this...
>>
>> A group of 20 of us from Wikiproject Medicine are working on a paper to
>> explain the usage of Wikipedia to the medical community.  We were working on
>> it in Google documents but they have made some changes to their software
>> that makes it nearly unusable.
>>
>> We wish to return to working in the wiki environment but need to do so in a
>> closed environment until after publication.  Anyone here able to set
>> something like this up for us?  Or have suggestions were we may do so?  We
>> were using a private wiki for a bit but its reliability was limited.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> Hi James,
>
> Have you checked out http://www.wikimatrix.org/ ?
>
> Cary

Hello

I use pbworks, basic plan (free)
https://plans.pbworks.com/

Indeed, that is not mediawiki, but I find that specific wiki quite
confortable to work with and the hosting service is good (not lagging
horribly as other wiki farms are something doing).

I have been testing it for roughly two months and feel happy about it.
Currently considering going for the for-pay plan to use it for my
business to communicate with my clients.

The basic plan allow only one space, but this space can be closed. So it
should fit your needs.

Alternatively, you may set up your own mediawiki (I also have one), but
this require
* hosting service
* domain name
* install and updates

To be fair, unless you are a total geek and mediawiki fan, I would
recommand the no-hassle pbworks solution.

Ant