[Foundation-l] [Wiki-research-l] WikiCite - new WMF project? Was: UPEI's proposal for a "universal citation index"

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Tue Jul 20 02:08:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Brian J Mingus
<Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
> I have been working with Sam and others for some time now on brainstorming a
> proposal for the Foundation to create a centralized wiki of citations, a
> WikiCite so to speak, if that is not the eventual name. My plan is to
> continue to discuss with folks who are knowledgeable and interested in such
> a project and to have the feedback I receive go into the proposal which I
> hope to write this summer.

This sounds great.  Just speaking as a community member, I've been
thinking about this topic a long time myself, and have plenty to add
to the conversation.

> The proposal white paper will then be sent around
> to interested parties for corrections and feedback, including on-wiki and
> mailing lists, before eventually landing at the Foundation officially. As we
> know WMF has not started a new project in some years, so there is no
> official process. Thus I find it important to get it right.

I'd suggest finding an on-wiki spot to discuss this work.  Here's one
place this has been discussed in the past that may be a good place to
revive the conversation:
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposal:Building_a_database_of_all_books_ever_published

Rather than commenting on list about the subject itself, I've
commented on the discussion page there:
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposal_talk:Building_a_database_of_all_books_ever_published#Fact_database_6531

Rob