[Foundation-l] small Wikipedia projects - follow-up to Jimmy Wales' talk

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Sun Jul 18 23:45:42 UTC 2010

2010/7/18 Casey Brown <lists at caseybrown.org>:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
> <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm writing this as the follow-up to Jimmy Wales' Wikimania keynote
>> about small Wikipedias, or, as some people correctly say, Wikipedias
>> in underprivileged languages. (It's strange to use the word "small"
>> anywhere near Bengali, for example.)
>>
>> Is there some recorded body of knowledge about the existing attempts
>> to engage small language communities? The only thing that i know is
>> the parts with Ndesanjo Macha in "The Truth According To Wikipedia".
>> They are very inspiring, but very small.
>
> Something that's standing out in my mind, but might not be exactly
> what you're looking for, is Ziko's "Tell us about your Wikipedia"
> project, where Ziko and others tried to get different Wikipedias to
> share details about themselves and some tough things that they
> experienced. <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tell_us_about_your_Wikipedia>
>
> That was a first step to a lot of the stuff you're talking about.

Actually i started reviving this project a few weeks ago: I translated
its main page into Russian so that people from Wikipedias in the
minority languages of Russia who don't know English will be able to
contribute to it. Thanks for reminding me to advertise it in those
Wikipedias' Village Pumps.

Versions in French and Spanish may be useful for Africa and Latin America.

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni

http://aharoni.wordpress.com