[Foundation-l] small Wikipedia projects - follow-up to Jimmy Wales' talk

Shiju Alex shijualexonline at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 14:49:01 UTC 2010

Hi Amir,

As you might know Malayalam is not a big language. It has roughly 30 million
speakers. There are some efforts from Malayalam Wikipedia community to reach
to public. Here are some

1. Our wikipedia CD - read the story here -
http://shijualex.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/creating-malayalam-wikipedia-cd/
2. Distribution of the above CD to 60,000 teachers of kerala. Read the story
here -
http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2010/07/malayalamwikipedia-success-story.html
3. http://schoolwiki.in A wiki run by the IT at school
<http://www.itschool.gov.in/>department  of Kerala. This wiki is used for
creating the database of all the schools of Kerala and the article about
each school is maintained by the children of the respective schools.
Malayalam Wiki community have helped the IT department Government to setup
this wiki. Many school children in Kerala is aware about the wiki software,
wiki editing, and Malayalam typing due to the efforts by IT at school.

And many more initiatives are going to come in the next few months.

Shiju