[Foundation-l] small Wikipedia projects - follow-up to Jimmy Wales' talk

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 10:56:52 UTC 2010

Hoi,
I have blogged often about this subject.

If you want to create a level playing field for languages (the topic of my
presentation at Wikimania) you have to make sure that there is a level
playing field. While MediaWiki supports many languages there are issues that
we have not addressed. Many of these have to do with Unicode needing updates
of fonts that do not support the characters needed for a language.

Amir, we talked about issues with right to left languages at Wikimania in
Gdansk, that is another can of wurms where we need people to pick up the
slack. At translatewiki.net we are looking for developers who are able and
willing to help solve technical issues that have to do with allowing
structures commons to languages. Examples are multiple plural forms,
addressing people by their gender, addressing people in a formal or informal
way.

Once we are able to properly address people either in the user interface or
in the text will we get to the stage where outreach becomes realistic and
feasible. Otherwise you tell people that their language and effectively
their culture is secondary because this other language is so good.
Thanks,
      GerardM