[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

Excirial wp.excirial at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 15:16:42 UTC 2010

*There is no general Christian prohibition on depicting Christ. In fact it
is a generally accepted practice. Generally Muslims don't, and consider it a
mark of disrespect to do so. Why offend?*

1) It is a historically important subject which should be covered in an
encyclopedia.
2) We do not cater to the wishes and desires of any group, no exception. If
we cater one, we have to cater a second, then a third and so on and on.
3) Anyone who does not wish to see the images can block them - its a
personal choice on whether you do or don't want to see. If there is a
problem with their mere existence there is nothing we can do - we can't
erase them from history.
4) The images may offend millions, but that still leaves billions who aren't
offended by them. I would argue that the knowledge needs of the larger group
outweigh the issues of the smaller group - especially since we are not
forcing anything on the small group. As said in point 3: Images are on
specific pages, and even those are accessible since images can be blocked.

As said before, we should be careful with content that could be deemed
offensive, to prevent needless friction - For example we shouldn't be
placing images of Muhammad on article's that have only a partial relation
with him, such as "Prophets of Islam". In other words, the are in which they
are posted should be contained, but not exterminated.

~Excirial