[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 13:07:27 UTC 2010

On 17 July 2010 12:40,  <wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> John Vandenberg wrote:
>> in the article about Jesus.

>> If you haven't noticed, the images of Muhammad on the core articles
>> relating to Islam are not created by someone who had a bit too much
>> free time on their hands.  The images of Muhammad that we use are
>> images of an object which is held in a university library or museum,
>> _because_they_are_important_.

> Those don't appear to be the ones that are being complained about. Its
> the Baby Jesus Butt Plug style ones that they have issue with.

This turns out not to be the case. In practice, anything that is even
*purported* to be an image of Mohammed is condemned.

(And, as the article on the history of such images notes - this is a
modern POV of one particularly noisy and violent group rather than a
constant over the history of Islam.)

- d.